As you may know, one of the most important considerations when using a battery is save the maintenance if you want to enjoy the best life value as well as highest performance out of it. There are different types of batteries in which some types are designed as maintenance free. However, there are still a lot of types that need to be kept maintenance for their longevity, especially AGM batteries. In spite of various advantages, this type of battery has to be maintained clearly. Thus, this short post will say something about the Battery Maintenance and How to save your AGM battery’s maintenance.
- Like other types of batteries, for AGM batteries, this important issue allows you to use the battery for longer time. The battery should be clean for any cases. With a battery, there are many parts that need to be clean and tightened like the cable connection. There will raise many problems if they are dirty and loose connections. Thus, if possible you should let your battery checked and tested by serviceable battery regularly and only at a full charge.
- Regarding battery maintenance, there are certain requirements including: the high fluid level, distilled water, tap water and not overfill battery. Besides, tap water is loaded with chemicals and minerals that are very harmful for your battery, but it is not as bad as no water. Moreover, prevent corrosion of cables on top post batteries is very crucial. You can achieve it using a small bead of silicon sealer at the base of post and placing a felt battery washer over it. Also, coating the washer with high temperature grease or Vaseline and placing cable on post and tighten. They are very safe to save your batteries from corrosion.
How to maintain an AGM battery
- Your battery should be kept clean: Clean your battery and make sure that the cable connection on the batteries are constantly cleaned and tightened.
- Check fluid levels: because the fluid level changes according to the charging process. Thus, when it is fully charged, you need to check it carefully. This will give you an exact suggestion of fluid level in your AGM Battery. In hot weather or high temperature, the fluid in batteries generally expands and therefore, causes electrolytes to be pushed from the battery.
- Test your battery regularly: in order not to have a temperature compensating hydrometer and measure the voltage of your AGM battery in details as well as give them full charge.
- Measure the voltage is very necessary to let your AGM battery fully charged. You also need to know the necessary amount of voltage of an AGM battery to stop charging. Overcharging will reduce the life time of it if this issue usually happens.
- Charge your battery: It is claimed to use your AGM battery charger and maintainer. Some famous brands like Optima battery which has a series of optima chargers that not only re-charge your battery but also maintain it. More importantly, over-charging need to be considered for many brands of batteries. An automatic maintenance mode should be added to the battery charger, allowing you to control the process better.
AGM batteries remain variations of advantages and also in case of the character of maintenance. However, to use it for longer time and safe for your machine, it is necessary to take care of this issue. This is the best way to enjoy your AGM battery with durable time.