The best Marine Battery in the Market
Marine batteries are very important elements required in fishing and boating business. Before buying a marine battery of a particular brand, one must always consider the effects and factors of certain feature in the battery.
Marine batteries are very complicated materials. Here, given are some very important notes to remember before buying a marine battery;
- Size of the battery
- Type of the battery
- Chemistry of the battery
- Possible output of the battery
- Manufacturing date and expiry
Size of the battery
Size of the battery to be purchased is very important. Sizes refer to groups of battery in technical words. Having enough space in on the boat, for a particular battery size is necessary. So keep in mind to select the desired group. There are many groups such as 6D, 8D, 34, 27, and 24. Groups differ in different brands, but not much as only differ for the handles and design. so first the space on the boat must be measured and the battery should be bought in accordance to the free space.
Type of battery
There are different type of battery and has used different technologies.
- The ‘deep cycle’ battery is a good one. it can be discharged deeply and can tolerate 50 % of discharge. Before becoming scrap, it can be discharged and recharged many times. This type of battery has less but thick lead plates and has more reserve capacity or RC rating and hence, has a longer life span. This battery can go long period of time without needing to be recharged again and again.
- ‘Starting or cranking’ battery type cannot tolerate deep discharge. To start the batteries, there are juice bursts that are short and fast to spin the starter. This type of battery has numerous thin lead plates in it in order to increase the surface area and to produce more power.
- ‘Dual purpose’ type of battery has quality of both the cranking battery and the Deep cycle battery. One can buy a dual purpose battery if there is no much space to install both the batteries. The output is a bit lower, but can be a good substitute.
Chemistry of the battery
Batteries are made of different electrolyte and different technologies are used. One must select the best.
- Absorbed glass mat technology is a costly one but a good choice as marine battery. this type of battery is surrounded by a glass fiber coil that absorbed the electrolyte and the battery is not filled with any liquid electrolyte, hence there is no risk of spilling any liquid and doesn’t require much maintenance and only should be cleaned externally. There is no need of filling water as the oxygen and hydrogen are combined time to time to form water inside the battery. This type of battery is shock resistant. The disadvantage is that the battery might get over charged and water cannot be replaced if in case. The AGM type of battery is very heavy.
- Flooded electrolyte technology also called ‘wet cell’ is not much of a marine friendly. Though being low at cost, this type of battery is filled with electrolyte till the brim of the battery. There is a risk of spilling electrolyte and corrosion, so a lot of maintenance is needed. Due to its fewer prices, this type of battery is primarily used and also has 1000 or more possible discharge cycles making it have desirable life span in a lower cost.
- Gel battery has liquid electrolyte filled in it, but it is gelled with silicate before being sealed. Gel battery discharge very less and can be kept without recharging for a long period. It does not have any disadvantage of getting damaged due to overcharging unlike the AGM or Wet cell battery. It is very costly and charging is a problem as extra settings must be installed to charge this type of battery.
- Lithium ion battery type is the latest in the technology in the market. Lithium ion combined in a deep cycle works the best. This battery is a lot lighter than other battery type and has many charge cycles. The life span is long and is best at performance, but the cost of this type is very high. A lithium battery can handle a huge amount of current and hence can be charged a lot faster. This type of battery is used mostly in racings boats and boats that need to save weight and those who have a high budget.
Possible output of the battery
CCA and MCA ratings must be thoroughly researched. CCA stands for cold cranking amps and MCA means Marine cranking amps. MCA is always higher than CCA. Reserve capacity must be good. The more is the output, the better is the battery and the more is the RC, the more is the life span of the battery.
Manufacturing date and expiry
One must always take a look on the date of manufacture or the MFD code. For batteries, the codes are a little bit different. The month is donated by a letter of the alphabet and the year is donated by a number. For example ‘A3’, here A is referred to January, and the number 3 is referred to 2013. In this way, B stands for February; C stands for March and so on. One must always select the latest available in the store. Also, look for the expiry dates. The life span must be long and the warranty is must. One can easily be fooled by buying a battery near to its expiry date.
So before getting a marine battery, one must keep in mind and reconsider all the possible and important feature of a marine battery.
Some of the top selling brands of marine batteries
- US Battery
Looking for reviews gives a lot of help in choosing the perfect desired marine battery. Here are reviews of some of the top selling brands of marine batteries:
This brand has an experience of more than 80 years in the field of manufacturing deep cycle batteries and cranking batteries, making it one of the top-selling brands all over the world. This brand has advance manufacturing technologies which include resistance of vibration, advance in calcium technology, expander with negative plate paste, additive made of sodium sulfate and a design of four posts. With these advance technologies, the interstate batteries become more reliable and easy to use, with a very low maintenance requirement.
Lifeline is the trademark of Lifeline Distributors Incorporated. They have the highest quality marine batteries. Lifeline batteries are specially manufactured for marine use. The batteries are interlocked in cases that are sealed with a special resin called the epoxy resin and do not leak acids when the batteries are inverted, making the batteries environmental friendly as the batteries don’t leak gasses and are not corroded easily.
the advantages of marine batteries include submersible advantage, no requirement for filling water, low rate of discharge rate, outstanding performance, fast recharge ability, light weight, resistance to vibration and shock and high retention of charge.
ODYSSEY dual purpose marine batteries are the best in performance. Have more than 400 cycles with 80 percent of discharge dept. these batteries have the quality of both powerful starter batteries as well as a good deep cycle batteries. These batteries have three times of the life span of a standard batteries and twice the power of the same and are good for trolling and starting as well as source of power for many more electronic appliances on-board.
Optima blue top
This brand is the mixture of optima and blue top manufacturers combine together to make an ultimate battery and has the best quality AGM batteries. The batteries have exceptionally great running time and are 15 times more resistant to vibrations and great rechargeable quality. The batteries are spill free and low maintenance, almost zero maintenance is required, has optimal power of starting and acts a dual purpose battery.
Trojan produces the best flooded batteries. the batteries are all 12 volts and Trojan apply a T2 technology on its manufactured batteries, having self sustained capacity and more ampere-hours of reserve capacity, making the batteries power more and run for longer time than rest of the flooded marine batteries. Deep cycle 12 volt starting Trojan batteries are ideal choice for marine appliances.
Exide produces marine batteries in a wide variety of range. They believe that different customers have different need. So keeping in mind the needs and satisfaction, they manufacture marine batteries at a wide range.
Exide Edge marine and Exide Megacycle AGM marine batteries are deep cycle batteries designed for long run and day-night utility and are spill proof and Exide Stowaway and Exide Nautilus are designed as flooded batteries that are deep cycle, starting, as well as dual purpose batteries that have reliable and outstanding performance.
This is the most experienced company worldwide. They have been manufacturing batteries since the year 1926. Being the most experienced, this brand know how to satisfy its customers. They are popular for their long running deep cycle and starting batteries.