The best AGM Battery in the Market
AGM batteries are the Absorbed Glass mat batteries. AGM batteries are totally different from the flooded or the gelled batteries in technology, chemistry, cost and efficiency. This type of batteries does not contain any liquid acid in them; instead the lead is soaked with liquid electrolyte and is coiled around the fiber glass mat. AGM batteries are maintenance free and are used in different fields. AGM batteries are light but costly. These batteries come in different variety. One must always choose the best AGM battery according to one’s life style and needs. Considering the expense on the AGM batteries, one should always go for the best AGM batteries. Here are some factors that should be considered while getting the best AGM battery;
- Battery type
- Vibration and shock proof
- Size and storage
- Efficiency and internal resistance
- Self discharge
- Handles and terminals
- Cost of the AGM battery
AGM batteries come in three types, according to the purpose;
- Starting AGM batteries; as these batteries have high Cold cranking Amps; that are required especially to start up the engines. These batteries give the sudden burst of power that is requiring in starting. If one has to use the AGM battery for starting purpose, then the best choice is the AGM starting battery.
- Deep cycle AGM batteries; are batteries that are specially made for deep discharge and recharge cycles. These batteries can be discharged up to 80 percent. Unlike the starting batteries, these batteries don’t deliver the sudden burst of power and even if these batteries are used as starting, these cannot deliver the required power. Deep cycle AGM batteries are not try deep cycle batteries, as these batteries are not filled with liquid electrolyte. However, these AGM deep cycle batteries are used to replace the true deep cycle batteries as these are maintenance free and have no risk of leaking acids or gas.
- Dual-purpose AGM batteries; are mostly used AGM batteries as these batteries can be used both as starting as well as a deep cycle. AGM dual purpose batteries are two in one though the power delivered might not be that high, but it is sufficient for starting any engine. These batteries might cost a bit more but the performance worth it.
According to the usage or purposes like recreations, bikes, golf cart, car, solar store or marine, AGM batteries are designed very differently and are of many types and some commonly used are;
- RV AGM batteries; are designed especially for the Recreational vehicle purpose, if chassis batteries then these batteries have very high CCA and if the deep purpose, these batteries are designed with more reserve capacity.
- AGM marine batteries; use in the marine business like boating, trolling motor, jet skis. these batteries are mostly dual purpose and if starting, then the MCA or the Marine Cranking amps should be very high as the batteries will be required to start up the engines and in marine starting batteries, the most important is the MCA rating of the AGM batteries.
- Motorcycle AGM batteries; which are specially made for motorcycles. These batteries are minute in size. These batteries can run for a long time without charging requirement for a long time. If one doesn’t often send the bike for servicing and has to go for long trips, these AGM batteries are the best.
- AGM batteries as solar storage; are used in the solar panel in which the solar energy is stored in the battery that is connected with wires through a converter. These days, solar panels are often used.
- Car AGM batteries or automotive AGM batteries; are larger in size having been designed to produce high power burst or CCA, High CCA is necessary in order to start up the engine.
- Golf Cart AGM batteries; come in 6 volt, that are heavier and give better output. These batteries are always to be used in pairs to produce 12 volt power. A single 6 volt battery is unable to produce a power of 12 volt.
AGM batteries are preferred and used mostly, as these batteries are safe and sealed, with no risk of gas or acid leaking.
As AGM batteries are not filled with liquid electrolytes, these batteries have lead soaked with electrolyte and coiled around the Glass mates that are separated by plates. The plates must be thick as the life span of the batteries depends on the plates of the batteries. With the charging and discharging, the positive plates corrode and degenerate and slowly the battery dies. So before selecting an AGM battery, one must research about the thickness of the plates of the particular AGM battery.
Vibration and shock proof
Vibration is one important factor to consider while getting an AGM battery. As AGM batteries are mostly used in marine, RV, car or bike; it is obvious that the battery is exposed to vibration. Due to vibration, the plates get displaced slowly with every vibration and the plates being displaced, make the battery weak; also the reserve capacity decreases and cannot deliver the same performance as earlier. These days AGM batteries have come up with a new technology of being vibration proof. So, one should always buy an AGM battery that is vibration proof and can bear heavy vibrations.
Some AGM batteries are prone to shock and over charging, that can damage the batteries and make the batteries dead. So, a shock free battery is always recommended that has a specialized case designed to keep away from shocks.
Size and storage
AGM batteries come in varieties of sizes and groups like 24,27,31,36. The larger is the size, the more RC rating the AGM battery will have. But one thing should be noted, that for large batteries, the space required will also be large. AGM batteries are also required to be mounted. So, one must buy the AGM battery that is small enough to fit in the available storage space. The weight is also important as the heavier is the weight the more elements are stuffed in the AGM battery, but it is no use buying a battery that is too heavy to carry around.
Efficiency and internal resistance
Battery efficiency is again an important factor in an AGM battery. One must always compare the efficiency and the overall charge and discharge, that is the internal resistance of the different AGM batteries. A good AGM battery must be able to give high currents normally, without any significant or disturbing voltage drops. The battery must not heat up very fast, as heating up indicates that the AGM battery is losing its internal battery. The internal resistance of the AGM batteries are normally low, as low as 1-2 percent, so the lower is the internal resistance, the faster will the AGM battery be charged and also deliver high power. in case the battery heats up fast or when getting heavily charged, the battery might suffer from thermal runaway, which is not a good sign and can be dangerous.
AGM batteries are sealed and for this technology, the loss of water is being cut down by 98 percent. Self-discharge is the term used to describe the amount of discharge when a battery is sat without use for a long period. The self-discharge rate of a good AGM battery must be very low. To get the best depth cycle, AGM batteries must not be discharged too much. Say for a good AGM battery, discharges up to 50 percent. Too much, discharging might decrease the life of the battery.
Handles and terminals
Handles are a necessary part of the AGM batteries, as the batteries are needed to be carried around with ease and the batteries are heavy. A good AGM battery must have strong handles. The best are the integral handles that make it easy to carry the battery.
Terminals are the most important part of a battery. The terminals of a good AGM battery is always sealed so as to ensure the leak-free operation. The battery must also be kept in a well sealed case so that the internal parts of the battery are not exposed. One must also check for any cracks on the case of the battery before buying an AGM battery.
one cannot just mount the battery only to the ground or only in one position and may need to mount the battery in different positions too as there will be the situation when different position mounting would be necessary. A good Absorbed Glass Mat battery must be flexible and should be compatible to be mounted in any position anywhere, except upside down, as it can damage the internal parts of the AGM battery. It must be made sure that the battery is flexible for different position mountings if one has to adjust with the storage systems.
Cost of the AGM battery
The cost of the battery is also a real thing to worry about. Though more expensive battery gives more efficiency, but it always does not turn out to be 100 percent true. the best AGM battery is that which is available in a good deal and also deliver significant power supply and have long lived a 150$ AGM battery is a good choice, as it will have all the characteristics of a good battery and will also last as desire
Overall features of best AGM batteries are very simple and straight forward;
- The CCA, MCA and RC ratings must be high.
- The AGM battery must be spill proof, shock proof, and vibration proof.
- The maintenance requirement must be zero.
- Internal resistance and self-discharge should be low.
- Handles must be strong and terminals should be completely sealed.
- The AGM battery must be flexible enough to be mounted in any position.
These are the factors that the best AGM batteries must have in order to deliver the best efficiency and significant power. So, one must consider these factors while choosing an AGM battery for any purpose.
Go to the Best Battery Reviews Homepage