The Best RV Battery in the Market
RV battery is also known as Recreational Vehicle battery. If one has a motor home, the battery should be a starting battery and if the RV battery is for house hold use, then a deep cycle battery is always recommended. If is a camper or goes for outdoor adventures often, it is very important to have an RV battery. According to one’s necessity and requirement, one must select the RV battery. Before buying an RV battery, there are certain basic factors to be kept in mind.
- Electrical system of RV
- Type of RV battery
- Type of recreation
- 6volt or 12 volt RV battery
- Storage space
- Performance and price
Electrical system of RV
The most important and basic factor to know before buying an RV battery is, having the knowledge of the particular recreational vehicle that one has. According to the type of the electrical system in the RV, the RV batteries are divided into two types;
- Starting or the Chassis battery; used for starting a motor home engine. If one has a motor home. This type of battery has larger Cold Cranking Amperages required to start a large engine. This type of battery is almost same as the car batteries. If one wants to replace the chassis battery with standard deep cycle battery, than the battery must have either the same CCA as the chassis battery or it would be better to have larger CCA.
- Deep-cycle battery; if one does not have any motor home engine to start and wants to use the battery for normal household powering or camping. This type of battery is used to supply power to house hold appliances like water pump, refrigerator, light bulbs, and many other appliances.
Deep cycle battery is mostly recommended as this battery can take deep charge as well as deep discharge and run longer than that of the chassis battery. A starting battery is good as it gives sudden boost of power to start up an engine, but a deep cycle battery gives long-running power to run the appliances for very long period. the battery can be charged either by power supply when there is no shortage of power, or can be charged by solar panel if the wording an set up is done in the right manner, the battery converts the solar energy to power and stores it, which can be use later while there is power shortage.
Type of RV battery
A deep cycle standard RV battery is found with different types of technologies;
- Flooded lead cell; are the most commonly used RV battery. This type of battery is filled with liquid electrolyte till the brim and is low cost and mostly available battery in RV battery stores. As the flooded lead cell battery is filled with liquid electrolyte, a lot of maintenance is necessary. There is also a risk of leaking acid and gas. One must routinely check the water levels and must fill water time to time. If one doesn’t want to maintain so much, then this type of battery is not the right choice.
- Oil filled RV battery; is used in extremely cold climatic areas. This type of battery needs a lot of maintenance and cost higher than another type of batteries. Oil Filled RV battery has no risk of leaking any gas or liquid. This type of battery can hold the charge even though left inactive for a very long period of time.
- Gelled RV battery; is a good one, as it is filled with liquid electrolyte, but it is sealed with a silica gel. This type of battery won’t leak any liquid even if inverted and hardly require any maintenance. Though the gelled battery does not have very high reserve capacity, but can charge faster than the standard battery. It is a good choice if the budget is low and if one has no mood for maintenance.
- Absorbed Glass mat or the AGM RV battery; is a totally different type. It is not filled with any liquid battery but has lead coil soaked in the electrolyte and separated by Glass mat. The battery is lighter than the flooded battery and the cost is also very high, but it doesn’t need any maintenance and has no risk of any leaking. The life span is much longer than the standard RV battery. If one has a high budget, then this type of battery is the best choice.
There are two types of ratings to seek for, while buying an RV battery and if it is a starting battery, CCA is also very important to know before buying the battery;
- AH rating; or the amp- hour rating is very important. The amp- hour is calculated by measuring the amount of amperages a battery can deliver in 20 hours of the period.
- RC rating; or the reserve capacity is calculated by measuring the time in minutes an RV battery can last in delivering 25 amperages.
One must remember that the more are the Amp-hour and RC ratings, the longer will the RV battery last, so one should always look for the battery with more amp-hour and RC ratings.
Type of recreation
One must always compare the type of recreation camping one would go for. if one is interests in going for camps with electrical hook-ups the powers requirement is not so high as the battery will be used only at times of power shortage. But if one has to go for an adventurous wilderness, where there is no hook-ups and power supply at all then the RV battery has to have a very high RC ratings as there will be need of simultaneous power supply.
Marine batteries are mostly used instead of standard deep cycle batteries because these batteries are mostly dual-purpose batteries used for starting as well as deep cycle use. The cost of marine batteries is low and has all the characteristics of a good deep cycle batteries. These types of batteries can be used for starting the motor home engine and later running the other appliances.
6 volt or 12 volt RV Battery
RV battery can have two type of power, a 6 volt, or a 12 volt. 6 volt batteries are heavier and costlier and can run for a longer time. If one is going for camps where there is no power supply at all, then the 6volt batteries are the best choice. But while using 6 volt batteries, the output should always be 12 volt, so two 6volt batteries must be connected together and used in order to get 12 volt output. 6 volt RV batteries are also used in golf carts and must used in pairs always.
If one is going for a camping with ready electrical hookups, then it is best to use a 12 volt battery which is lighter in weight and less expensive, as not much power is required and only during power shortage, the battery would be required to use.
Before getting RV battery or batteries, one must always measure the space one has for the storage of the batteries. Suppose, if one wants to buy a 6 volt battery and a 6 volt battery cannot give output of 12 volt, so one will have to buy two 6 volt batteries. The batteries are large and it needs a lot of space to store two batteries, so if there is no enough space to store the batteries, it is no use buying many batteries. The space must be measured and according to it, the size or the group of the battery must be selected.
Maintenance is a very important part to consider before purchasing a RV battery. Flooded lead type batteries need lots of maintenance and have a lot of leaking risks. cleaning the terminals, checking for corrosion and re-filling distilled water, can be a too much work for people who are too busy enjoying and if the battery is not maintained properly, the battery won’t last that long as desired, so it is best to pay some extra bucks and get a maintenance free RV battery as it would be environmental issue too.
Performance and price
Starting or Chassis RV batteries are available at very low price, but a starting battery lasts only for six months or one year in RV use. Marine batteries last for one to two years. Deep cycle battery type lasts for 4 to 8 years if maintained properly but costs more depending on the type of technology. The higher is the cost, the better will the RV battery perform. Flooded types of batteries give best performance in low cost, but need too much maintenance. AGM and gelled batteries cost more than the flooded batteries but there is no need of any maintenance and gives very god performance and satisfactory life span
So before getting an RV battery, one must check out all the considerable factors that the best RV battery is expected to contain.